Yeah, well. It's all thanks to Alicia. She posted this meme and stipulated I couldn't read her list until I'd done my own. There was nothing for it but to do my own!
Here's the rules:
Don’t take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you’ve read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes. Tag 15 friends -- or not because I am all about free will, but link back to me (unless you list them in the comments) because I’m interested in seeing what books you choose.
Make your list BEFORE you read mine! My books appear in the order they occurred to me.
- Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
- Heidi - Johanna Spyri
- The King Must Die - Mary Renault
- The Brothers Karamazov -Dostoyevski
- Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevski
- Golden Treasury of Poetry - Untemeyer
- Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
- Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Nicholas Nickleby - Charles Dickens
- 5 Roads to Nuremburg
- Tess of the Durbevilles - Thomas Hardy
- The Scarlet Pimpernel - Orczy
- Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
- Cloud Street - Tim Winton
- Joan Makes History - Kate Grenville
This was a really interesting exercise. I had no idea what was going to come out. I'd like to keep adding to the list, but these were the first 15 books that came to mind. I was really surprised at how deeply ingrained childhood books are in my psyche. Black Beauty, Heidi and The Golden Treasury of Poetry are books I read over and over before I was a teenager. I read most of these books before I turned 21, and I think all but 1 before I was 30.
I guess what my teenagers are reading really DOES matter!!
I wonder if not having a TV until I was 10 changed my list by making childhood books more important. Oh, I forgot 'Snugglepot and Cuddlepie'!! Oh, oh, oh! How could I do that?? I got that book when I was 5 and it is very much a part of me.
I loved doing this meme. I hope you did your own!